Looking for easy argumentative essay topics for college students? Need writing advice how to start this project? In this type of paper, your task is to persuade your potential audience to agree with your arguments so your argumentative essay has to be logical and based on in-depth research. But first, you need a good topic. The best argumentative essay topics are debatable and controversial.
Choosing good argumentative topics takes a lot of time because you need to search the Internet using Google, look through a variety of the latest news, and read popular articles that have a lot of comments from readers who share different points of view, check posts on social media. You need to learn about important topics discussed by lots of people of any age – men and women, young adults and teenagers and pick a topic you care or are passionate about.
Lack great ideas for your argument paper? In this article that is actually a writing guide, you will find a list of 45 best argumentative essay topics to help you get started. We will give you some helpful tips on how to write an effective argumentative paper that will impress your future reader and get you a high grade.
What Makes a Successful Argumentative Essay?
Let’s start with definition argumentative essay. It is a specific type of essay that presents clear arguments about both sides of an issue. You can follow one of the two different approaches: either present both sides equally balanced or present one side more forcefully than the other. The choice depends on the writer.
Some people may confuse argumentative and persuasive essays; you should keep in mind that they are different types of academic papers. In persuasive writings, we use emotions and ethics to persuade readers to accept our point of view on a certain issue; take an action or avoid doing something that can be harmful to them, other people or environment, etc. In this way, we can talk even to a little child. In argumentative writing, we appeal to logic. We try to influence people talking about reasons which caused certain problems, future positive and negative effects, dangerous and beneficial consequences of human activity, potential risks. We convince people to make informed decisions. We appeal to their common sense.
To succeed in completing a convincing piece of writing, you need to investigate a topic using a lot of credible sources; gather and evaluate evidence (statistics, relevant facts about science, proven examples); and, finally, establish an informed position on the topic of your studies in a concise manner. Wondering how you can organize your argument? Let’s discuss the format you should follow to achieve your goals.
How to Structure an Argumentative Essay
Typically, any argumentative essay has a linear structure. It means they present one idea at a time in the order that follows a reader’s logic and makes the most sense to an audience. The structure of any essay is unique in a way it represents the subject, the focus, and the claims the author makes.
What about your college-level argumentative essay? Usually, you should follow this format that includes several parts.
- The introduction that begins with attention grabber, provides background information and introduces the argumentative essay’s thesis
- The main body, presenting your major arguments
- The counter-argument that refutes previous arguments
- The conclusion that restates the thesis, reminds main points and gives some concluding remarks to emphasize the significance of the problem
It’s important to provide appropriate evidence for both sides of the issue, argue your own position, and then present your own conclusion. Why should you address the opposing side’s argument? When doing this, you will be able to accomplish several important goals:
- show that the opinion you express is unbiased
- prove that you have a well-rounded understanding of the essay’s topic
- improve the level of your reader’s trust in your opinion
- strengthen your own argument
Why You Might Need Expert Help
Writing an argumentative essay is a common assignment for high school and college students who often find these academic essays too challenging because they require from children and young people strong analytical and critical thinking skills and the ability to argue on important social and moral issues of today’s complex world.
That is not an easy task. You need to have your own personal position about current problems and support your own opinions with facts from real life. Have problems with expressing your opinion or need advice on how to format your papers? Order a good example of argumentative essay online! You'll receive a paper written by professional writers according to instructions given by your professor.
45 Best Argumentative Essay Topics
Feel tired of researching and overwhelmed with the amount of information? Can’t decide what idea appeals to you? Finding good essay topics that you could discuss effectively and create powerful argumentative essays is a hard work. But don’t worry because there’s an alternative.
Check our list of interesting argumentative essay ideas. They cover a number of argumentative topics that actually reflect different aspects of the life of a contemporary society in the United States and on the global level, including health, education, schools, development of technologies, music, sports and games, family, relationships, etc.
- Why do more and more girls choose technical education and careers in the STEM?
- Are men as emotional as women?
- Is it normal to refuse to serve gay couples because of your religious beliefs?
- How does the beauty industry affect the perception of women's appearance?
- Should the parenting be more gender neutral?
- What does it mean to be a real woman in a contemporary society?
- Is it acceptable for boys to cry?
- Should women be allowed to serve in the army and take part in military campaigns?
- How will the #MeToo movement affect the relationship between a man and a woman?
- Can a woman hold leadership positions?
- Should we apply specific rules to competing transgender athletes?
Music, TV/Movies, Literature and Art
- Do libraries have a chance to survive in the future due to the fast development of digital technologies?
- What was the impact of the reality show 'RuPaul's Drag Race' on gay men and transgender people?
- Do we need so much advertising around?
- Can you name any actor who did not deserve his Oscar?
- Speaking of kids, what books are better for them: paper books or e-books?
- Does speed reading really make you smarter?
- Do you know the real reasons why Banksy wants to remain anonymous?
- What are the reasons for indie music to be so popular among the millennials?
- Do you know the secret of Taylor Swift's popularity?
- How did schizophrenia influence Louis Wain pictures?
- How important is modern art education for developing abilities of children, teenagers, and adults?
Parenting, Children, and Schools
- Is it true that video games with violence make teenagers aggressive?
- Do children need homework in primary school?
- Should children be responsible for keeping their rooms clean and tidy?
- Who should be role models for teenagers?
- Can children under the age of 12 be allowed to watch horror films?
- Why do most children and teenagers want to become video bloggers?
- Should college education be free to all?
- Should parents monitor activities of their children on social media platforms and limit their use?
- Should young children be allowed to compete on a variety of TV shows together with adults?
- Should student athletes get paid by universities?
- Should parents limit their children’s internet time after they come from school?
- Do advancements of modern technologies ruin childhood?
Health, Nutrition, and Beauty
- Should Photoshop be banned in beauty magazines?
- Can GMO food solve the most urgent problems connected with world hunger?
- How can marijuana help cancer patients and other people who suffer from constant pain?
- Should government lower the drinking age?
- Can unvaccinated children be dangerous to other kids in schools and other public places?
- Does homeopathy work for treating diseases or preventing them?
- Should vegetarian parents give their children meat?
- What are the main advantages and disadvantages of 3d printed organs?
- Should assisted suicide be legal, taking into account its pros and cons?
- Should basic health care be free for all citizens?
- Can healthy eating habits help us look younger and live longer?
We hope you like these argumentative essay ideas. If you do, feel free to choose any of these easy argumentative essay topics for college students for writing your own papers to impress your friends and teachers. Can’t find any topics you’re interested in? Check our blog articles for other easy essay topics ideas.
How to Write Impressive Essays on Argumentative Topics
Writing on argumentative topics on a college level requires extensive research of the existing literature on the subject or previously published material. Be ready to spend many hours or days in the library before you can move to the next stage of the writing process – start working on the outline and put your smart ideas into words. Be prepared to work under pressure. You will need to read a lot of books, textbooks or watch some videos to have a good understanding of your subject and be able to develop a compelling argument. Alternatively, refer to writemypaper4me for more information.
Quick Tips to Help You Succeed in Writing
Want to achieve a better result when writing? Follow these simple tips that will make your work easier.
- Write a strong introductory paragraph and state a clear and concise thesis. Explain why the problem is important.
- Include logical transitions after each part of your paper to connect the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. Transitions help your reader focus on the topics. They will ensure your readers will be able to follow your argument. In this way, you can keep their interest and encourage them to read further.
- Limit each paragraph to discussing one general idea. You must provide details, facts, examples and explain why your evidence supports the thesis.
- Devote one or two paragraphs of your argumentative paper to the discussion of the conflicting opinions. It will depend on the length of your essay.
- Provide well-researched and detailed evidence to support your thesis and explain other points of view.
- Write a strong conclusion. Your goal is to leave a deep impression on your public. Make your conclusion effective and logical and don’t introduce new information that your reader may not know. Review your main points and the thesis; remind your audience one more time why the issue is important.
- Think about your essay as a conversation or debate. Imagine you are discussing the issue with a group of your classmates or a friend and are trying to convince them that your opinion is true.
- Use 5-paragraph approach as a universal method for writing your paper. What about the longer essays on argumentative topics? If the issue is complex, you will need to write a detailed college essay with a complex structure and discuss plenty of different research sources you have found online and in the library. You will certainly need more than 5 paragraphs.
- When you finish your final draft, check it for logic and proofread it to eliminate possible grammar, punctuation, spelling mistakes, and typos. Read your argumentative essay aloud and ask your friends or parents to help you. Make sure all your citations are formatted properly.
Follow these useful suggestions when writing your college paper on one of the best argumentative essay topics.
Need more advice on completing other types of essays? Check our quick writing guides.If you can’t complete your homework assignments and need some extra assistance, you can contact our professional writing service via phone or email anytime a day and buy an original paper sample written according to your specific requirements. Experienced writers of essay4today.com can provide any student of a high school, college or university with quality papers on different topics that can serve as useful examples for their own projects.